Look in the mirror.
I’m a child of the 80’s. Well born in the 70’s but did my growing up in the 80’s.
Rah-rah- skirts. Tie-dyed T-Shirts, Miss Helena on Romper room. Crimped hair. Danced in my lounge room to Lionel Richie, Kylie, Abba, Olivia Newton-John, The Pointer Sisters and Michael Jackson.
Oh how I loved Michael Jackson’s early music. Did you?
As I got older and outgrew my Barbie Doll’s I also outgrew Michael Jackson’s music. Shock Horror! Yes I know many of you held on to your love, but not I.
His later work just didn’t gel with me.
Except for 1 song – Man In The Mirror
These lyrics, particularly strike a chord.
I’m Starting With The Man In
I’m Asking Him To Change
And No Message Could Have
Been Any Clearer
If You Wanna Make The World
A Better Place
Take A Look At Yourself, And
Then Make A Change
Change in the world starts with you. Why does it start with you? Because the world as you know it only exists in your mind.
It is created by the way you think and how you feel which in turn determines the level of vibration you are at, which in turn determines what you attract.
2 people can look at the very same thing and this thing will have a different meaning to each of them.
And the way you think, the beliefs you hold and the emotions you have are largely due to your childhood, your experiences, your values, the things you were told and taught when you were young. All of these things create your map of the world.
And the good news is, you can change your map of the world and therefore change the world in which you live.
Wayne Dyer said one of my favourite quotes – “Change the way you look at things and the things you look at change”
That’s what Michael Jackson was talking about too. If you want your world to be a better place take a look at yourself and start to see things differently.
Once you create the awareness, then you can start to change.
So how do you do that?
1. Look at different areas of your life. Relationships, Finance, Career, Contribution. Have as many areas as you like.
2. Ask yourself how you feel about those areas. On a scale of 1-10 (1 being terrible, 10 being epic) how would you rate each area?
3. What do you believe to be true about those areas of your life? For example, do you believe that you need to be married in order to have children? Do you believe that rich people are cheats?
4. Look at those beliefs and decide weather they are empowering or enslaving you? For example if you think rich people are cheats, and you are not a cheat do you think you will be able to be rich?
5. For each belief that is enslaving you, flip it around to one that empowers you. If we keep with the theme of finance and the belief above, instead of thinking that rich people are cheats, you could change it to “rich people are creative in the ways they generate and manage their money” Can you see how this belief feels lighter? Whatever feels light is the truth, whatever feels heavy is a lie.
Get curious and ask yourself these questions throughout the day.
This is what will help you get a greater understanding of yourself so that you can start to tweak your thoughts and beliefs and as Michael Jackson said, make the world a better place by looking in the mirror and starting with yourself.
If you would like help peeling back the layers of your thoughts and beliefs to shift your world and results, please contact me. It is a process I love facilitating for people who are amazed with the results!